Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Class was, and is always, in session ...

Sometimes, I get too caught up in what's going on in my own world (professionally and personally) that a unique opportunity to tell others about how and what I and we do at Laredo Morning Times is a gift.
Such was the case recently when St. Augustine High School students dropped by for an hour-long tour of LMT's operations.
Showing students where retail advertising, classified advertising, editorial content and page designers work to produce a daily newspaper was pretty hip for me.
They also got a peek at the mailroom and press areas which, as many know, were consolidated with our Hearst Corporation fellow publication, the San Antonio Express-News. I believe it was important to show them these areas and let them see and know about their importance.
I also believe they found something of interest which can help them formulate ideas, thoughts and concepts about their future endeavors in journalism.
To me, journalism and newspapers are two different entities altogether.
Journalism is a vocation, albeit one which gets rapped every day for something -- and it matters not whether the fairest, well-written story ever appeared in print media. Trust me, someone will find fault with it. That's human nature.
Newspapers are a vehicle for journalism, one which has a vast history of providing readers with records of births, life and deaths. It also has a background of recording history's triumphs and tragedies, too.
So it was my honor to act as tour guide for the class.
They were attentive students, willing to walk around, see and ask questions.
Hopefully, it let them know journalism and newspapers will be around in some way, shape and form for years to come.

-- Joe Rutland

No comments:

Post a Comment